Friday, July 22, 2011

The Big Old Tree


(This story is a fiction that I made. A short story that came out of my head "poof!" (not literally thou!hehe!jk). A story that will touched your heart… hope you (the reader) will like it (^^,)....)

Everybody wants a companion. Someone to talk to and share your dreams with… I thought I never get to be happy until I met her…


I’m an orphan. I don’t know whose my parent was. What’s there face and what they look like? Sometimes I wonder… but often times I don’t care. I used to be alone. No friends and No family. I live half of my childhood life in an orphanage and I used to be with different care takers and kids that have a same situation like mine. They’re all good people especially those who show that they care. Some are not quite friendly and gave us hard chores everyday. There were only few kids that I became friends with. Kids that were like me… a loner, always wanted to be alone.

I used to stay under the shades of a big tree whenever I was alone. I don’t know what the name of that tree was but all I know was it’s a huge tree. I used to hide, to sleep and to read my books there. I remember I draw that tree too on some of my sketch book but I think I had lost it. I remember how it gave me shelter and shades when it’s rainy and sunny. That tree really became part of my loneliest and happiest childhood days… but whenever I went and stay there… I always felt that I’m not alone.


Then one day I saw a girl. She was same age as me. I thought that she was a new kid in the orphanage. And it irritated me when I saw her sitting under my tree. Yes, its mine. I was the one who always there till she came along. I greeted her with a nasty and angry look on my face but she answers me with her sweet and gentle smile… and that really pisses me off. At first I used to be mean at her. I don’t talk to her and I always ignore her. I felt that the day she came was the day she conquered my place, my tree… I felt that she took away one of my greatest possession… till now that I know I was wrong.

But what I really wonder was why she never got angry at me. Why she was always kind and good to me although I been so mean to her.

We’re at the same place but we never talk so much… until one day I fell on that tree. I tried to get my airplane toy that stuck on one of the brunches of that tree. It stuck in a very high branch and I was afraid to get it but I really wanted to get it back so I decided to face the danger though I know I could fell and hurt myself. And it happened, when I fell that day. I thought I died though. It was black but it’s weird that I heard a voice that’s so distant. And that voice was to her. When I opened my eyes she was there and she seems to be worried about me. I was shocked to know that I’m still alive after that incident. And what really amazing was I’m not injured at all. When I asked her what happened she just smile and said “you were lying there for an hour now and I thought you have a bad dream so I wake you up”. Was that only a dream? I know it’s not because when I woke up I saw my airplane still stuck on the brunch of that tree.

On the next day, I was still eager to get my airplane back so I decided to get a big stick for me not to climb up anymore. When I get there I saw my airplane was gone. I looked around and couldn’t found it. When I was about to lose hope she came and approached me. “Are you looking for this?” she asked. I was so happy to see my airplane and asked her how she got it. She says that she just saw it lying on the ground. I thought maybe strong wind came and blew it and it fell off that easily. That’s the time when we started to talked and became friends.

We shared lot of things. We laughed together and I sometimes bring all of my favorite books and we read it together. We play hide and seek under that tree. And I remember of calling her ninja because she was really good at hiding and when it’s my turn to hide she immediately finds me. What I really like about her was her smile and the way she listens to me. I must say that she was really a good listener and she was someone that you know who cares and wanted to know you. For the first time, in my life, I found a true friend.


I thought that I will always be happy but I’m wrong. One day she didn’t came in our place, the big tree. I thought that she just has things to do and not able to went in our playground. I used to always go there under that tree, playing there all alone; but I wonder why I felt different now. My heart was filled of sadness whenever I wait for her but she never comes. I have so many stories to tell and so many jokes to share with her but she didn’t come anymore.

There was time that I got sick. I have a high fever. My care taker says that it was due for staying long hours outside and for playing in the rain. And I know she was half right about what she says of staying long hours but not the playing and enjoying the rain outside… because I was waiting for her. I thought that the tree will always protect me… but it failed when I got sick.

4 days I had spent lying on my bed. I was so sad to not to go outside for so long… and to ease my sadness I was writing down some of the jokes I made in a piece of paper and I was thinking of giving it to her when I recovered. I was too eager to get well so that I will be able to went to that tree and saw her waiting for me.

When I recovered the first thing I did was to go to that big tree. I wait for her because I know in my heart that she will come. I put the pieces of paper that I made inside a jar and brought my newly favorite books that my new care taker gave to me. Her name was Nelly and she says she was fond at me because she saw that I love reading books and she says that I have potential to be a writer someday because she loves and really appreciated my novice skills in writing. I really want to see that girl again. I didn’t know before the feeling of missing a person, I never missed my parents even once. I thought I would never felt that kind of feeling but it crept into my heart and I hated that feeling. I missed her and I wanted to talk to her once more.

I don’t know how long I waited for her that day. I was holding the jar and the books when Nelly woke me up. I saw in her eyes that she was worried about me. Well, it’s already dark when she saw me lying under that big tree and she thought that I hurt myself while playing under the tree. She told me to go back inside the house but I resisted to not going back. I was crying and shouting at her saying “Leave me alone!” She never gets angry at me but instead she hugs me saying “Tell me what’s the problem.” I hug her back and I can’t speak because of crying. My heart that day was aching so bad that I thought it will burst. It’s worst than an aching stomach when you’re hungry or even having bruises. My eyes were filled of tears and I can’t speak as I could.

We went back inside the house and Nelly gave me a glass of water to calm myself. She holds my hand and asked me once again what had happen. I told her that I was waiting for someone, a girl in the same orphanage. She asked me her name. And I realized that day that I really didn’t know that girl’s name. I just told her what she likes, her face and the built of her body. And Nelly promised me that she would ask the old care takers about that girl. I was very happy to know that and that somehow gave me hope for some reason.

Next day, Nelly came early and I was excited to know about the girl. I approached her immediately and told her if she had asked the old care takers about the girl and if she was able to saw her. Nelly told me to take her on that big tree saying that she wanted to saw it. Then she told me to wait for her there because she was going to get something in the office. While I was waiting under the big tree somehow I heard that someone was calling my name. I thought at first it was Nelly who’s calling me but no one was there… it’s just me. I thought maybe it was just my imagination. When I was there I couldn’t help myself thinking my happy days when I was playing under the tree with that girl. I thought my happy days was when I’m playing there alone but I can’t lie to myself about the different kind of happiness I had felt when she started to became part of my life. I finally knew that it was a different feeling when you know that someone was there to be with you. I remember how hard I was hitting my head when I was about to think the happy memories we had together… because it’s better to hit myself than to hurt my heart because of thoughts of not seeing her again. Then it crosses my mind maybe there was a family that adopted her and maybe she was happy now. I should get her address to mail her and I was hoping that Nelly was getting that girl address for me.

Nelly came with a file of documents. It was the documents of all the girls in that orphanage. There pictures were all there, their names and even their birthday. Nelly told me to look at those documents if I would be able to find her just knowing her face. I was so excited while browsing those documents and I wish that I would find her. I can’t help to wonder what her name was and I’m so stupid to not know it then. I saw all the documents but she was not there. I thought that her face was different in a picture so I browse it all over again. As I was trying hard to remember her face somehow her face seems to vanished inside my head. When I was about to cry and lose hope Nelly told me that maybe she just missed some of the other documents and promised me that we will do it again. Somehow it gave me another hope of finding her again.

On the next day Nelly didn’t brought any documents with her but she accompanied me in the girls’ house in that orphanage since the boys and girls house were separated. Nelly introduced me to all of them but I didn’t saw that girl. Some of the girls I had met were not the same age as me. There were two girls with same age but I know that they were not that girl. Though her face seems to disappear inside my head I know how she smiles and how she talks. But none of them was her. We spent our day looking for her but we failed and it just crosses my mind that she was good at hiding. As I remember it my heart once again starts aching. I missed her, I really do. When we started to give up, an old care taker asks us whose we’re looking for. I told her about the girl that I met on that big tree. She was shocked when I described that girl not her face though but that way she talked and some of her weird attitude. She said that she knew that girl. I was happy when she told us that. But she never told me the details instead she only talked to Nelly. Again I felt real happiness, I was wishing of finally knowing her name, her address so that I could send the jokes I had written for her in a piece of paper and I was going to send her many poems I had made for her. I know she will be happy just like she was when were together under that big tree. Then Nelly came at me and told me all the things the old care taker told her.

I stunned. I cannot speak. I cannot accept it. That the girl that I wanted to see, I wanted to be with. The girl who found my favorite airplane toy. The girl who shared many stories with me, who laugh with me and smile at me often, whose good at hiding and listening… and most of all whom for the first time became one and only best friend that I had and gave me indescribable happiness inside that took away my loneliness… was just a ghost…

Sadness came into my heart when I remember what Nelly told me about this girl named Amelia and she died long before I came in the orphanage when I was a baby. She died because of lukemia. She knows her parents but she came from a poor family and when her mother died her father left her. And she ended up in the orphanage. The old care taker was the one who took care of her. She said that she was kind of weird because she wanted to always be alone. She was always playing all by herself on that big tree.... Until she got sick and she couldn’t play anymore and then she died.


When I came to know all of it…I was scared. I didn’t visit that big tree anymore. I tried to forget all of what had happened and Nelly tried to help me with that. She was a wonderful person because despite of all that happens she didn’t leave me and never even once thought that I was a weirdo and she gave me lot of books for me to enjoy with. One day she adopted me. She wanted me to become part of her family. Now, I finally got my own family and they’re all wonderful person especially my new mom, Nelly.

However, though it was already fading in my head… the memories of Amelia my childhood best friend. A girl who makes me happy in the darkest day of my life… who showed me what happiness was really all about and how important it was to have a friend on your own. I thought maybe I somehow help her too. To finally have someone to talk to and maybe because of that she finally became happy and ready to go to where she really belongs. I know she was a ghost but the fact that she became part of the happiest moment of my life will never be erased and will never be forgotten...

No comments:

Post a Comment